Hingham Bay Racing has a number of long standing awards for competitors within the fleet. Each year we hold an awards ceremony in early February to award the following trophies.
The Governor’s Cup goes to the boat with the highest 4 race total points in the following weekend races:
- Round the Lights
- Chowder Cup
- Hitchcock Trophy organized by Hingham Yacht Club
- Scituate Invitational organized by Scituate Sailing
Hingham Bay Cup
The Hingham Bay Cup is awarded to the boat with the highest 10 race total points for the following weekday series races:
- Fran Davis Spring Series
- Sullivan Summer Series
- Flashlight Fall Series
Fleet Captain’s Award
At the end of each season, nominations are sought from racers in the fleet and Fleet Captains then vote for the recipient who best meets the following criteria:
- Any Skipper / Crew who actively raced throughout the season.
- Demonstrated knowledge of The Racing Rules of Sailing.
- Unwavering adherence to the Basic Principle of the Racing Rule “Sportsmanship and the Rules”, in particular the following clause will be strongly considered as a basis for awarding this trophy: “A fundamental principle of sportsmanship is that when competitors break a rule they will promptly take a penalty or retire.”
- Demonstrated goodwill towards all other competitors.
- Demonstrated sharing of sailing knowledge with other competitors, especially with new members of the fleet.
Bent Rudder Award
The Bent Rudder is given to the skipper of the boat that pulls off the most embarrassing/boneheaded maneuver of the season.
Top Photo Award
The Photo award is given to best photo posted on Instagram or Facebook tagging Hingham Bay Racing taken
from a member’s boat before during or after a race.
Best Race Committee Award
The Best Race Committee award is given to the crew that performs the duties of race committee to the best of their abilities and most impresses the PRO during the race. For 2021 we will not be having Race Committee participation by crews, so we will not be awarding this award this season.